Wk_11 Sims in Education
This week we are discussing simulations, simulation-games, and games in educational settings. The setting could be a training exercise in the corporate or military world, or a classroom demonstrating a type of learning. When discussing the classroom, I decided to seek out the educational advantages of using simulations or games. Derek's blog discussed the educational benefits of simulations in the classroom. These characteristics of learning would benefit anyone in any discipline.
Derek Wenmoth wrote, "These simulations are engaging in different ways. They’re especially useful for developing critical thinking, and exploring ideas and concepts at a deeper level than a superficial read of a magazine or text book article - especially when engaged in as a part of a classroom group activity. Like all good simulations - they’re intended to teach not through the imparting of lots of information, but through the understandings developed through the process of participation, problem solving and decision making."
In this case, students are not passive learners absorbing information, but are actively participating in the learning process. They develop active listening skills when collaborating with their group, or critical thinking skills when finally determining a solution to a problem. These skills can be used in any classroom in any discipline. They are essential to the development of a lifelong learner.
Reference:
Wenmoth, D. (2007, March 12). Simulation games for the classroom. Available at: http://blog.core-ed.net/derek/2007/03/simulation_games_for_the_class.html


4 Comments:
Have you used any of these in your classroom? Are there any that you have not used but are interested in trying?
When I was in high school I loved to play with simulation games. I had SimEarth, SimLife, SimAnt, SimCity and a couple others that I am forgetting at the moment. I think that I am a builder at heart so these games caught and kept my attention.
I have to agree with your comments. I am a firm believer that our students must transform from passive learners to active learners.
Tango
Sims in class
I use low tech simulations. I give students the scenario and then they must act it out, such as restaurant scenes or buying supplies at the store.
If Detroit gets more computers, I would be more than willing to use CBTs in the classroom. Until then, I still have a chalkboard.
Tamyra
Post a Comment
<< Home